Monday, October 27, 2008

Man, that water's cold...and deep too!

Everybody has heard the old joke about two guys standing at the urinals in a public bathroom. Well, I wasn't standing in a bathroom. I was standing waist deep in Melton Hill Resovoir, Clinch River, the water that comes off the bottom of Norris Lake, on the last Saturday in October, with the temperature creeping towards 50*...and it was cold as Heeellll!

I had just tumbled down the slope at Racheal's Landing. I spun out on a root going up the climb. I could't get my cleat unclipped and fell down the hill. So far, So good. It was a soft landing but it was very steep. I started sliding down the hill waiting to hit a sapling or something to slow my descent. I think I found the only smooth slope on the bank. So, off the bank into the water still clipped in. Head first! Did I mention it was cold as Heeellll? Well it was.

After I separated myself from my bike and stood up I tried to catch my breath. I was standing waist deep and there was a bank about even with the top of my head above me. No way to climb out. Fortunately Phillip Burgess came to help me get my bike out. He pulled it back up to the trail. I looked around and decided I need to move about 30' down the bank to find a shallow enough spot to climb out. It was cold as Heeellll!

I rode out but never did warm up. Slogging (and sloshing) up the HOT and E Ridge didn't even warm me up. My team, the Butt Crackers, had some curried chicken stew that along with dry clothes and a fire warmed me up.

This is before.
Photobucket

This is after 3 or 4 hours of cooking.
Photobucket

Team Butt Crackers.
Me, Fran, Jaques and Matt.
Photobucket

A few of my favorite pictures from HOT.

Jimi, checking out the New Belgium cruiser bike we raffled off. Looks like she's having more fun than is legally possible.
Photobucket

The band was awsome. I'm sure I heard their name but...somebody will have to help me out.
Photobucket

Jon's truck Sunday morning.
"Now that's what a great bike weekend looks like!"
Jon Magnuson October 26, 2008
Photobucket

Jaques and Fran warming up.
Photobucket

Me in my Butt Cracker team kit.
Photobucket

The guys from Tri Cities always seem to be in the spirit of the HOT.
Photobucket
Photobucket

more here.
http://s164.photobucket.com/albums/u34/clipper_pics/HOT%202008/

1 comment:

george m said...

Nice shots, randy; good to see you dried out ok too.

The band was the VIBRASLAPS!

They'll be playing Spinal Tap songs on Halloween at the Pres Pub too, by the way.

Followers



Grand Master Clydesdale

Riding my bike makes me feel like I'm 10 years old again. I'm 54 years old and a clydesdale. I'm happily married to Ginger and I've got a son and two daughters, Zach, Hannah and Molly.