Monday, April 14, 2008

Windrock and Not Windrock

Saturday Keith Williams and I decided to go ride the new/old Cumberland Trail section of Coal Creek/Windrock. I knew Bhann and Jeff were just up there so I called Bhann and found out there was only about 1 1/2 miles cleared so far. So, we went on to Windrock and got in a push...er.. ride.

Photobucket

We rode out trail #1. It was a little muddy but not too bad. Mostly rideable with a fair amount of 4 wheeler traffic.

Photobucket

This fool went up this slope which had to be about 45 or 50*. He couldn't even walk down it.

Photobucket

So far so good. We hit trail #2 and turned up the mountain. #2 was in good shape as far as mud is concerned. It was a jeep road grind but still kind of cool. After a while we turned right onto #16. Big mistake! 16 is tough when it is dry. Saturday it was not dry.

Photobucket

I'm not sure how long we were on #16 but it seemed like a couple of hours. I sure was glad to see the gravel of G1 at the top. We rode along G1 to where the paved road comes up the mountain. After looking at the map, we decided to go a little way down the pavement and turn right onto #21 with the plan of ending up on #22 which is a nice downhill. Somehow we made a wrong turn and ended up on Little Rattletrap (I think). It goes about a 1/2 mile down to the bottom of Rattletrap and then climbs straight up the mountain in some 5' deep ruts and rocks the size of wheelbarrows. We finally came out on the gravel (G1) again and this time we rode down the pavement. I surprised Keith with a sorta cold Dale's Pale Ale at the top. Yes, I hauled it up in my camelback!

Photobucket

The views from the top are pretty spectacular.

Photobucket

Downhill Doug and about 20 others were doing shuttle runs. Maybe one day I will try that. For now, I think I'll keep my wheels on the ground.

Photobucket

1 comment:

Randy Conner said...

Sorry about the picture size. I'm still learning this blogging thing and when I resized they did not change on the blog. I'll know better next time.

Followers



Grand Master Clydesdale

Riding my bike makes me feel like I'm 10 years old again. I'm 54 years old and a clydesdale. I'm happily married to Ginger and I've got a son and two daughters, Zach, Hannah and Molly.