Sunday, May 18, 2008

Does it bother you if I talk while you ride?

Photobucket
I raced the Monkey Grinder at Montgomery Bell State Park today. My title question came from the race. I got a 4th position start into the single track. I found myself riding 3rd places' (Daniel's) wheel. Me being me, I starting talking to him...Great track...good crop of poison ivy...did you race here last year?...Soon Daniel was pushing a little too hard and went down in one of the many corners.

I went past and hopped to 2nds' wheel (Eric's). Do you know the guy in front?...what gear you running on that?...Then he slides out in a corner.

I go on by and the race leader is way out of site. I kept up a good pace thinking I might be able to catch up to him once we hit some hills. Pretty soon I spotted him up ahead. The hills section was looming and I started closing the gap. Soon I was up on his wheel...I didn't think I would catch you the way you took off...These whoops are fun...That was a cool banked turn...We went thru a g-out and at the bottom his (Mark Vickers) hand slipped off his bar at the bottom. His front wheel went dead right and he centered a 4 or 5" tree. He hit it like a cartoon. One hand and a leg on one side of the tree and the other hand and leg on the other side. That tree swayed about 8" (we are clydesdales after all) and he hung there. I thought he was hurt bad. I stopped and asked how he was and all he said was keep going. So I did. I wasn't sure he would be able to finish.

I had now talked all of my leading competition into crashing all over the race loop. I cruised in to win by about 3 minutes over 2nd. Mark was able to finish 2nd after he escaped the tree. I'm sure he will be a little sore though.

I felt pretty good all day until the very end of the race. This was my first XC win in several years. Felt good! The Salsa now has a win and a 2nd in XC and a win in a TT. Not a bad record on the new bike.

The picture is of me and Mark after they handed out prize $$.

3 comments:

1SpeedBrian said...

Congratulations on the win, Great story.

Thomas said...

sometimes when riding, everything just comes together like playing a game of chess, a really fun and fast game of chess. Nice job!

Matt said...

Congrats on the win, Randy!

Followers



Grand Master Clydesdale

Riding my bike makes me feel like I'm 10 years old again. I'm 54 years old and a clydesdale. I'm happily married to Ginger and I've got a son and two daughters, Zach, Hannah and Molly.