Thursday, May 29, 2008

IMBA Trail Care Crew weekend

We had a successful weekend hosting the IMBA Trail Care Crew at Hastie Natural Area. Kelley and Collins Bishop put on a fine ppoint presentation and then demo'ed proper benching techniques. At the end of the work day, they took small groups and worked on what to look for on trail layout.

Although I had been through the school before, I did learn a couple of tricks. I laid out a fair amount of the trail walking the woods by myself. A simple trick like hanging my flagging tape at eye level to get an accurate inclinometer reading was something I never thought of.

We ended up with around 20 people. Bob Richards from TDEC gave us copies of "Trail Solutions" and "Managing Mountain Biking". Each participant received a free copy. Kelly and Collins said they had never seen free books at any of their workshops before...Thanks Bob.

On Sunday we rode the Dirty South Ride. It consisted of a stroll through Forks of the River WMA and over to Hastie to ride the new stuff and back thru BHann's trails and back thru the WMA again. I learned that my "beginner" trail wasn't as "beginner" as I thought and my "advanced trail" wasn't as advanced as I thought. Oh well, I guess we learn as we go.

Kelly and Collins took pictures and I have been promised copies soon. I'll post when I receive them.

No comments:

Followers



Grand Master Clydesdale

Riding my bike makes me feel like I'm 10 years old again. I'm 54 years old and a clydesdale. I'm happily married to Ginger and I've got a son and two daughters, Zach, Hannah and Molly.