Sunday, July 6, 2008

No racin happening

I have missed a couple of races in the last couple of weeks. I missed the Hamilton Creek Race with a bad back. The Raccoon Mountain Race happened on a weekend that I spent with Ginger at her Aunt's birthday party in Greensboro, NC. Ham Creek was somewhat planned. It is a TBRA race and I have been chasing points all year. So far I am ahead in the clydesdale class and Daniel Spann is a close 2nd. I had enough of a lead that I could miss one race and keep a slim lead over Daniel so I thought it would be prudent to rest the back rather than ride the rocky trails at Hammy.

The AMBC Summer Time Trial Series is at it's midpoint. Racer turnout was very slim the 1st week but really picked up for the 2nd race. So far we have signed up 5 new members who have shown up to race. Hastie is in great shape and the limited amount of trail lends itself to the time trial format. Times so far have been as fast as 10 and 1/2 minutes. most times are in the 11 to 12 1/2 minute time. I would like to see more women show up. So far we have had only 2.

Finally, I got to spend some time with my ole buddy Joe Cross this week. He invited us up to ride at Big South Fork. We rode and cleared trail on the Grand Gap Loop. My neighbor Jaques rode with his hand in a cast and did just fine. Also along was Margo Carrol. Margo is a former expert level racer and currently works as a sales rep for Jamis Bicycles. It rained the night before and quit just in time for us to ride. The trail surface was perfect and the few sandy spots were packed down from the rain. As we pulled up to the first overlook, I stopped to have a look. I soon discovered neither Jaques or Margo care for heights. Margo fought looking over the bluffs the whole ride. She did tough it out and we had a great ride. I really felt for Joe. He was pulling a Bob Trailer with several tools including a big Stihl chainsaw. By the finish the trailer was taking it's toll on Joe and he was feeling it.

No comments:

Followers



Grand Master Clydesdale

Riding my bike makes me feel like I'm 10 years old again. I'm 54 years old and a clydesdale. I'm happily married to Ginger and I've got a son and two daughters, Zach, Hannah and Molly.