Wednesday, July 30, 2008

One year AMBC Anniversary

Monday we had our one year anniversary party/ride/meeting for AMBC. I can't believe it's been a year already. We were able to achieve some of our goals and not some others. One goal was to get membership up to 50. I think we have surpassed that. Thanks to Jimi and SORBA for securring us grants to be able to buy tools and still have a little money in our account. We were able to secure permission and construct just under 2 miles of trail at Hastie Natural area. This winter I think we can ad 2 1/2 or 3 miles to that total.

Photobucket

We were not very good at supporting the Windrock project. I applaud the downhill guys for taking the iniative to build XC trails there. I hope to get some shovel time in soon and help with the connector trail for the 100 mile race.

From towards the top at Windrock
Photobucket
Looking the other way up the mountain at Keith
Photobucket
One disappointing thing for me is that the same 10 or 12 people seem to be at the meetings and doing the work. I've not been doing a good job getting the word out I guess. I am proud of what we have accomplished and feel good about the future of mountain biking in the Knoxville area.

If you missed the meeting Monday you missed the fireworks. On our ride we got bombarded with thunder, lightning and very heavy rain. I told Smap on the way back in the storm that there is nothing in the world that will make you feel more alive than being out when the weather is breaking like that. I believe that was the fastest run I ever made from one end of the park to the other.

No comments:

Followers



Grand Master Clydesdale

Riding my bike makes me feel like I'm 10 years old again. I'm 54 years old and a clydesdale. I'm happily married to Ginger and I've got a son and two daughters, Zach, Hannah and Molly.